Friday, July 8, 2011

MY FRIEND KEVIN

Today  I  stand  before  you  all
Wondering  what to  say.
Questioning  why  my  best   friend  had  to  die
in  such  a  cruel  and  tragic  way.

I  remember  the  first  day  we  met,
it  seems  so  long  ago.
We  were  both  so  young  and  crazy
with  so  much  yet  to  know.

There  is no  doubt  he  was  blessed
with  the  gift  to  square  dance  call.
And  he  traveled  around  the  country
calling  dances  big  and  small.

But  even  more  a  gift
was  his  ability  to  teach.
He  made  every  student  feel
success  within  their  reach.

He  made  so  many  people  happy
as  he  traveled  far  and  wide.
But  not  too  many  people  knew
The  Kevin  deep  inside.

I  had  known  him  better  than  anyone,
at  least  that's  how  it  seems.
We  shared  so  many  secrets
about  our  hopes  and  dreams.

He  gave  himself  to  the  people  he  loved
for  the  majority  of  his  life.
But  there  was  always  something  missing,
He  longed  for  children  and  a  wife.

But  through  all  the  years  I  knew  him
He  gave  his  heart  to  only  one.
And  Cyndi,  his  wife,  and  his  daughters
became  his  stars,  his  moon  and  sun.

I  found  I  really  missed  him
as  we  parted  on  life's  road.
But  I  knew  he'd  always  be  there
to  help  me  share  life's  load.

And  now  I'm  here  before  you,
is  he  finally  gone  to  stay?
Or  has  God  called him
and  helped  to  light  his  way.

I  do  know  he  was  happier
than  he'd  ever  been  before.
His  dreams  and  prayers  were  answered.
He  had  discovered  so  much  more.

He  had  searched  so  very  long  and  hard
before  his  dreams  came  true.
I'm  here  to  say, "Cyndi,  Amber,  and  Robyn
He  gave  his  life  to  you."

I  feel  the  emptiness  in  our  hearts
as  we  struggle  with  good-bye.
What  answer  could  there  be
to  the  haunting  question,  "WHY?"

I  think  he  would  want  his  memories
to  put  a  smile  upon  our  face.
He  would  want  us  to  be  happy
and  make  the  world  a  better  place.

And  though  we  can't   touch  or  see  him
he  is  here  with  us  today.
And  through  our  thoughts  and  memories
he  will  never  fade  away.

In  Memory  of
Kevin  Reuss  Bacon – My Best Friend
10/12/56  to  12/27/93
Kevin was a nationwide square dance caller.
I wrote this poem for his funeral

Kevin was killed in Irving mall in a gang shoot out
in the food court in front of his wife and 2 kids.
He was killed instantly when he was shot in the head.
Dedicated  to:
Cyndi,  Amber  and  Robyn  Bacon
December 30, 1993

By  His  Best  Friend:  (Bill)
By William C. Scheel II
 (Bill)       (Shale)

No comments:

Post a Comment